World Blogger Championship of Online Poker

document.write('\

Monday, January 28, 2008

I Got Stupid!


For nearly a month, I maintained very good discipline. Then, in one night, greed made me stupid. Greed made me forget that you cannot "force it" in poker. It is actually comical how it all happened. I decided I did not want to lose my 7 day winning streak, and I was frustrated at the time about something that had nothing to do with poker. In this frame of mind I found myself down a couple of bucks last night. Rather than turning in for the night and getting back at it another day, I was determined to go to bed ahead. I almost ALWAYS play one table at a time, except maybe one cash game and one tourney at the same time, occasionally. So in order to get ahead before going to bed, I'd play a couple of tables at once. If one extra was good, two extra would be better. So, I played 3 at once. More hands, so I'd catch up a little quicker that way and I could just go to bed sooner.


Bad idea.


I lost some ground here. I lost my mind here. My stash went from $47.02 to $32.05. All because I was not willing to play well, take a very small loss, and get on with it. No, I apparently thought I could will my way to a profitable session. And why not? I'd figured a way to profit $45 or so in a few weeks playing a $.01/.01 game. I was determined to figure it out and make it happen. I had figured out a way to come back when I had dropped down to under $3, so I could figure this out, too. I found out again why I don't play multiple tables, and I had to re-learn that there are ups and downs, and sometimes minimizing your downs can be as valuable as winning. If I had minimized my losses last night, I'd be about $13 farther ahead of where I am now.


I already knew this stuff from reading books; just as I already knew the basic rules I came up with on Jan. 3. Somehow it occasionally takes my own experience to really bring a lesson home. If it weren't so dumb, it would be kinda funny! Actually, episodes like this remind me of how I could figure out a way to avoid the pitfalls of an experiment like this, and just be determined to play smart and win money. Don't get dumb or greedy, and let the good play win for itself.


I'm gonna make it to $10,000, but now it will just take about 4 days longer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you posting at 11:04...

Not glad to hear of your most recent sessions(s)...

You raise and interesting question when multi-tabling in an effort to keep a winning streak alive...

If you multi-table two tables... win $10 at one table and lose $8 at the other table it is true you have netted $2... but haven't you really posted a losing session and a winning session that just happened to be concurrent?

Semantic, but would prevent this line of logic in the future... after all, in a poker log the statistics of the two tables should be entered separately...

Food for thought...

"It is the one on the right!"